Association Activities 2016-2017:-
1. Demonstration Class at the new Language Lab
2. The World as A Stage- Shakespearean Transformations: Report on the Book Release
Fresher's Party and Inauguration of Literary Association
Pongal Day Celebrations
Spectacular Performance by the Sportspersons of the Dept. of English (Shift - I)
6. COFFEE HOUSE '17
7. TABARD INN '17
8. Thiru X. Swamikannu Pillai Endowment Lecture
Association Activities 2015-2016:-
1. Fresher's Party and Inauguration of Literary Association
The Fresher's Party and Inauguration of the Literary Association of English Department (LED) took place on 14/07/2015 at 11 a.m. in Bertram Hall. It was a heart-warming occasion to witness the huge hall packed to the full with students from I BA to II MA (Shift I) along with the Shift II students of I and II BA English Literature. The professors of both Shift I and II were present in large numbers to encourage our students. Prof. Pearline, Staff President of LED welcomed the gathering. The HOD, Dr D. Joseph Chandra introduced the chief guest, Dr. Albones Raj, former Vice-Principal (Shift I) to the students. Dr. Albones Raj gave an edifying lecture on the topic “Society and Literature”. After the Inauguration, senior students organized a fresher's party for the IBA and IMA students who had joined the college in this academic year. A scintillating display of in-house talents took place during the Variety Entertainment programme that followed. The events came to a close at 1:15 p.m.
2. Department Festival 2015 (Coffee House – 21st August 2015)
‘Coffee House' 2015 was an advanced version of ‘Coffee House' 2014. It took off from where it left last year. With new events and a comparatively large number of participants, this year's edition was a thumping success. The Inaugural function saw the Y.D. Hall overflowing with eager students who were waiting with bated breaths for the function to kick-off. The competition of students from more than twenty colleges gave an animated atmosphere to the Hall which remained packed until the Vote of thanks. For the first time, innovative competitive events like Literary Music and Strange Meeting
were added along with usual competitive events like Stress Interview and a host of others.
Coffee House was inaugurated at 9.30 AM by Dr. Renuka Rajarathinam, Dean of Research, Stella Maris College, Chennai. She gave an inspiring lecture on The Relevance of Studying Literature in the 21 st Century.
The Valedictory function was held at 4.30 PM and prizes and a creatively designed certificate cum memento was given to each participant. When the results were announced, MCC (Shift I) got a whopping 170 points to secure the first prize and behind them was MCC (Shift II) with 130 points. The offstage events were organized efficiently and they were on time, much to the pleasure of the participants.
Madras Christian College (Shift I) bagged the Overall Winners prize of Rs. 5000 and MOP Vaishnav received Rs. 3000 as their Overall Runners prize.
3. Ovations 2015:
A Harmonization Of Talent And Fair Play
English Department Pongal Day Celebrations on 09.01.2016
The Department of English celebrated the Tamil harvest festival Pongal with great joy and fanfare in the Quadrangle of our College. The HOD, Dr. Joseph Chandra and many Professors of the Department joined the celebrations along with our students who had made arrangements to cook a delicious, aromatic and sweet pongal dish in the traditional way. The UG and PG students were assisted by their teachers in the preparation of the treat. It was a time of great camaraderie and gladness that was shared between the Department students and their teachers. The sweet pongal dish was then distributed to all the Professors and students making it a very memorable event at the start of this New Year 2016.
Spectacular Performance on College Sports Day
The students of the Department of English put up a spectacular performance on our college sports day which was held on 29.01.2016. It began with an impressive March Past which was done in a highly professional manner. Our students also won a tally of 18 medals in various sports and games events and were placed 3rd in the overall college performance rankings. The faculty in charge of the Department sports activities Prof. Manohar and the students' sports captain Mr. Vimal Tony deserve our appreciation for motivating the students.
Association Activities 2014-2015:-
1. The English Literary Association Inauguration and the Fresher's Party was held on 18th July 2014. Dr. T.M.J Indra Mohan presided over the function and delivered an inspiring lecture on the topic, ‘Values of Literature'. Dr. D. Louis Joseph Chandra, The Head of the Department of English and Dr. Devaraj, UG Professor, Department of English spoke on the occasion. The faculty and the students of the department attended the programme at the Lawrence Sundaram Auditorium.
2. Ovations 2014-15 : The students of the department of English won the Second Runners-up trophy in Ovations 2014-15 after a gap of over a decade. Our students displayed a variety of talents and abilities in the intercollegiate cultural festival to win this coveted position.
3. Coffee House 2014-2015 The Department Festival of the English Department christened as the Coffee House was conducted with great pomp and a variety of events by the UG and PG students of our department on December 13. Dr Archana, Head, Department of English, Anna Adarsh College, Chennai was the Chief Guest. Prof. Pearline, the faculty President of the Literary Association, coordinated the event. Many competitions were held and students from several city colleges participated and received prizes and certificates.